
Memories of Takasaki First Engine Depot
The origins of the Takasaki First Engine Depot (abbreviated as Takaichi) date back to 1884, when the Nippon Railway Company opened the section between Ueno and Takasaki and established the Takasaki Engine Shed as a base for steam locomotives. Later, when the Nippon Railway was nationalized, the depot became part of the government-operated railway (Japanese National Railways). In 1934 it was renamed "Takasaki Engine Depot," and in 1945, with the expansion of operations, it was divided into Takasaki First Engine Depot and Takasaki Second Engine Depot. Furthermore, when the Jōetsu Line was electrified in 1947, the roles of the two depots were revised: the First Engine Depot took charge of steam locomotives, while the Second handled electric locomotives. Today, JR East’s “Gunma Rolling Stock Center” carries on this tradition, and steam locomotives such as the D51 and C61 are preserved there for revival operations. Since the Meiji era, Takasaki has continued to serve as a key railway hub in the Kanto region. Here, we present scenes of the Takasaki First Engine Depot up until November 1970, just before it ended its role as a base for steam locomotives.
Distant View of Takasaki First Engine Depot


From the Tōgo Department Store, which once stood at the west exit of Takasaki Station, one could look out over the roundhouse and the gantry crane. This was because there were no tall buildings obstructing the view at that time. These facilities could also be seen on the right-hand side from trains departing Takasaki Station on the Jōetsu, Shin’etsu, and Ryōmō Lines.
Entrance of the Depot and the Rear of the Roundhouse


The entrance to the depot was located on the side opposite the railway tracks, and directly in front, the girder of the gantry crane could be seen towering high above. At the back of the roundhouse, with its curved wall, stood a tall chimney used for venting smoke.
Takasaki First Engine Depot Seen from Takasaki Station


Another way to reach the depot was via a passage that extended from the end of the Takasaki Station platform. Although it was originally a passage reserved for railway staff, at that time many visitors also used it to access the depot for observation.
Office of Takasaki First Engine Depot




When visiting the office, one would inform the duty assistant stationmaster of the wish to observe, then enter their name and address in the visitor’s logbook. In return, they received a round badge with a number and were allowed to tour the depot. This is unimaginable in today’s railway workplaces, but at that time it was a common occurrence everywhere.
C11 Class at Takasaki First Engine Depot


The C11 class was used for shunting operations in the adjoining Takasaki Passenger Car Depot and Freight Car Depot within Takasaki Station. In earlier years it also worked freight trains and shunting duties on the Nagano-Hara Line (now the Agatsuma Line) from Shibukawa. However, in April 1970 it was replaced by DE11 class diesel locomotives and subsequently retired.
C12 Class at Takasaki First Engine Depot


The C12 class was assigned to the Ashio Line and was usually based at the Kiryu sub-depot. For inspections, however, locomotives would run light from Kiryu to Takasaki on their own power. Therefore, they were not always seen outside the roundhouse at Takasaki.
C58 Class at Takasaki First Engine Depot




The C58 class remained in service until the very end of the steam era, primarily used for freight duties on the Hachikō Line. Inside the roundhouse, there were facilities where the tenders could be detached for maintenance, and inspections were carried out there.
9600 Class at Takasaki First Engine Depot


The 9600 class was used for shunting duties at Takasaki Yard. In April 1970 it was replaced by DE11 class diesel locomotives and subsequently retired. Various appearances could be seen, such as locomotives with lower numbers like “9878,” or those painted with warning stripes on the front and tender.
D51 Class at Takasaki First Engine Depot


The D51 was the largest locomotive class at Takasaki First Engine Depot. They were employed on freight services on the Hachikō Line and, at times, operated in double-heading with C58 class locomotives.
Facilities of Takasaki First Engine Depot




The depot was equipped with a water tower and a water tank. Normally the water tower was used, and the tank was rarely seen in operation. In the sand drying room (sand dryer facility), sand was dried for use as anti-slip material. The grab bucket of the gantry crane carried coal from open wagons, and the ash disposal facility collected ash and clinker, which were then hauled away in open wagons.
Work at Takasaki First Engine Depot




Before departure, steam locomotives were supplied with coal from the coal bunker, water from the water tower, and sand for traction as needed. Watering was particularly important, and great care was taken to avoid running the boiler dry. After returning from duty, cinders accumulated in the smokebox were shoveled out, and ash and clinker collected in the ashpan beneath the firebox were dropped into the ash disposal facility for processing.
Takasaki First Engine Depot Immediately After the End of Steam


After the farewell commemorative trains had run, the Takasaki First Engine Depot was relocated to its present site. At the location of the former depot, locomotives with fires dropped were left standing. The area had lost all its former heat and activity, and felt cold and desolate. (November 1970)
Takasaki Second Engine Depot


At that time, Takasaki Second Engine Depot no longer had any steam locomotives assigned. However, there was a turntable and roundhouse, where a steam locomotive was stationed. By connecting piping, it appears to have been used as a stationary boiler. (D51 261, August 1970)